Curator, European Art, 300-1400CE
Job Location: Curatorial
The Walters Art Museum seeks to hire a curator to oversee its collection of approximately 1800 objects primarily from Europe and the Mediterranean basin as well as related works from Russia and Ethiopia. The Walters' collection of medieval art contains works in a range of media, including painting, metalwork, sculpture, ivories, and enamels. The curator supervises an assistant curator of Manuscripts and Rare Books, who oversees the Walters' collection of over 900 illuminated manuscripts, 1,200 early printed books and over 1,300 rare books. The curator demonstrates and fosters scholarly expertise in the field of medieval art, in alignment with the mission and vision of the Walters Art Museum, through a focus on deepening and sharing knowledge of the museum’s collections, and by participating in and promoting the research culture of the museum.
Education: PhD or equivalent with demonstrated experience in the history of European Art between 300 and 1400 CE or similar fieldthat is represented in the Walters Art Museum’s medieval collections.
- Some experience working in museum, gallery, or academic institution during or following the completion of doctoral studies. Rank is largely determined on the basis of experience and long-term performance (5-7 years).
- Demonstrated fluency in English, both in terms of writing and speaking.In collection areas that represent the art from a diversity of linguistic traditions, fluency in one or more of the relevant languages
- Excellent writing skills and record of scholarly publications
- Facility with recent ideas and methods common to the practice of art history and/or other academic disciplines related to the study of the arts
- An ability to negotiate, to think strategically, and to advocate for a particular course of action
- Able to communicate comfortably and confidently with members of the public, with academic/museum peer groups, with museum funders, and with other museum staff
- Able to travel internationally.
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer an attractive benefits package. For consideration, send your resume, cover letter and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to The Walters Art Museum, 600 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD21201, ATTN: Eleanor Hughes. Application end date is May 15, 2016.
An Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Employer. A smoke and drug free workplace.