Apply: Post-doc in Eastern Christian Manuscript Cataloging (HMML, MN)
The Hill Museum & Manuscript Library invites applications for a two-year, full-time, benefit-eligible position of Post-doctoral Fellow in Eastern Christian Manuscript Cataloging. The Fellow will provide vital support for HMML's efforts to catalog recently digitized Eastern Christian manuscripts. Under the guidance of the Lead Cataloger of Eastern Christian Manuscripts, the Fellow will undertake original cataloging of digital surrogates at HMML as well as revision of existing cataloging.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Original cataloging of Arabic (including Garshuni), Syriac, and possibly Coptic manuscripts from HMML's digitization projects in the Middle East, India, and Africa.
• Correction and standardization of existing cataloging.
• Earned doctorate in history, theology, classics, Semitic languages, or cognate field.
• Knowledge of Arabic (including Garshuni) and Syriac, and associated literatures; familiarity with Arabic literature beyond the Christian tradition is desirable. Coptic is not required but would be a desirable asset.
• Direct experience of research using manuscripts, and ideally of description/cataloging of manuscripts.
• Experience with digital research in the humanities; ease with the use of common software and ability to understand and work with HMML's digital platforms and tools.
• Good communication skills in both written and spoken English. Attention to detail; accuracy and thoroughness in work habits; ability to manage multiple, complex tasks.
For more information or to apply, visit the Saint John’s HR website (link below); scroll down to the Post-doctoral Fellow position.