In 1956, a group of medieval art historians and enthusiastic collectors and amateurs of medieval art founded a U.S. branch of a French organization called the Centre Internationale d’Etudes Romanes (International Center of Romanesque Studies). This American group was eventually expanded to become the International Center of Medieval Art (ICMA). At first headquartered at the Institute of Fine Arts of New York University, the ICMA was moved in 1969 to its present home at The Cloisters, the branch museum of The Metropolitan Museum of Art dedicated to the art and architecture of medieval Europe